This sauce is a combination of a few different recipes in my search to find a good dairy-free alternative to a cheese sauce.
1/4 cup coconut oil or margarine
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups of liquid; either chicken broth, water, almond milk, rice milk, coconut milk or some combination of them
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon paprika
(1) Melt oil in a medium sized sauce-pan, add onion & garlic. Cook until fragrant (2~3 min)
(2) Whisk in flour until a thick paste is formed with no lumps. Cook 1~2 minute, stirring continuously
(3) Slowly add the liquid, whisking the whole time until smooth.
(4) Whisk in the remaining ingredients, stirring until smooth.
(5) Bring to a boil, stirring often to prevent lumps from forming.
(6) Continue to simmer until desired thickness is reached.