Friday, February 16, 2007

Banana Bread

This is probably the recipe that I make the most - it is so easy and so yummy and not entirely unhealthy. It is one of the few recipes that I have memorized. It helps that it only has 6 ingredients.

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter (softened)
2 large bananas (mashed)
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups flour.

1. Combine the butter and sugar
2. Mix in the mashed up bananas
3. Add the last three ingredients - mix well. It should form a soft dough.
4. Put in a small loaf pan (well greased, or lined with parchment paper)
6. Bake at 325 F for approx 1 hour.
- alternatively it makes 12 medium sized muffins - they only take between 20-30 min to cook.

For the bananas: If we don't get around to eating all the bananas I have bought and they start turning brown, I put them in the freezer until I have time to make banana bread. When I have time, I take two out of the freezer and defrost them by microwaving them for 2 min and then removing the peel - they are then almost completely mashed already. The few times I've made this with fresher bananas it had a slightly different texture, still good - but not as good.

Enjoy:)

No comments: